Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The French Chef on the Silver Screen

A group of us shelled out $9.25 a piece last night to see a movie in a real movie theatre.

Imagine that! Now days I usually wait for Netflix to come out with the Blu-ray, so sitting in a real theatre was quite an adventure.

Our fare of choice?

"Julie and Julia"
Passion. Ambition. Butter. Do You Have What It Takes?


There are few words that would describe this movie as well as FUN. Streep was very, very good, and Tucci - well, he always steals the show, doesn't he? The sets and costumes were wonderful! France in the 1950's never looked so good.

Notice I'm talking only about the "Julia" part of the film?
The "Julie" part was good enough, and interesting, but you could have cut it out and just shown the "Julia" part and I would have been perfectly happy. Sadly, I guess most people wouldn't sit around for two hours of that, so the mix was a good choice.

Did I mention the food? yuuuummmmm.....

As soon as I got home I pulled out my (sadly pristine) copy of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and started thumbing through it. I've made very few of the recipes, but that's about to change!

Gentlemen:
If you need an explosion or an astounding CG effect every three minutes in order to keep your mind from wandering, this movie certainly isn't for you. But if you take your wife/daughter/girlfriend/sister/mother/aunt/grandma to this movie you'll gain bonus points, I promise.

As a consolation, there ARE murders.
Lobster murders.
Many.

And butter.
Lots of butter.

Bon Appetite!

1 comments:

April Hopkins said...

PBS is running some of her Classic French cooking shows. I just want to eat some of that lobster and butter!