Sunday, May 3, 2009

Blustery Spring


March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.
April showers bring May flowers.


At least, that's what my mother taught me.

It's been a typical blustery Oregon spring so far. I just wish it would be sunny on a weekend - long enough for me to get out and take a few pictures of the gorgeous blossoms that are cycling through the trees.

This last week I noticed that the dogwoods are in full bloom. I really love dogwoods, despite their rather erroneous and dour reputation. The fabulous textures - strongly veined petals with a hard little nub at the end - and the dusky rosy colors all add up to be one of the most interesting flowers. Just four petals. That's all it takes to make me happy.

I ran across something interesting while I was taking the dogs for a walk. A tiny blue eggshell, sitting right in the middle of the street. The wind was up, so I ran for home to get the camera. (The dogs weren't happy about their walk being cut short, but I gave them a good tummy rub to make up for it.)



I just love the stark contrast between the fragile shell (with its tiny lining intact), the high relief of the asphalt and the lengthening shadow.

2 comments:

Lisa Hutchings said...

Love the pictures! I have been really missing the neighborhood as spring has come! Hope you are enjoying the spring blossoms.

Rhamnites said...

That open egg on the asphalt is SO poetic! Makes me think of, oh, that there's something beyond the pavement... kind of magical, really! One wonders what was IN the egg... what's it doing... and there's the asphalt. Excellent.